For the last few years I have been volunteering for a local non profit Hands Across the Table (HATT). This non profit is just three years old but has already and is continuing to make a huge impact in the Lakes Region! I had the honor of asking HATT board member Debbie Frawly Drake a few questions about this great non profit. Here are a few facts you should know!
- HATT offers a free hot meal every Tuesday evening at the Laconia Boys and Girls Club (directly across from Opechee Track) for those seeking food and or friendship!
- The mission of HATT is to feed all who are hungry in body and spirit, doing so willingly and with compassion and understanding.
- This year alone they have served over 5, 500 meals!
- They serve on average 100 community members each week.
- Each meal consists of a soup or salad, rolls and butter, a high quality protein, veggies, a grain, dessert, coffee and tea! Food is never wasted as guests take home all of the extra food for meals to eat during the week!
- Every Tuesday a new group runs the dinners. About 15-20 volunteers are needed to serve, bus tables, wash and dry the dishes, and clean up after the guests have left. Volunteers work in shifts and volunteer from 4:30-8 PM. First shift are servers and bussers. Second shift is the kitchen clean up crew which tends to be my shift!
- It costs less than $2 to feed a guest each Tuesday and on average dinners cost $200 a week!
Want to make a difference and just don’t know how?! Well here is your chance!!!
To Volunteer: The HATT team is currently looking for a board member with financial/CPA background. They are also always looking for community members to volunteer on Tuesday nights! Want to get involved? You can message them on facebook, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 603-524-5800, leave a message and someone will get back to you!
One thing I love about volunteering here is that all ages can volunteer (I often have my students volunteer with me), it’s a cross generational community outreach and you instantly see the impact of your donation or service!
To Donate: As little as $2 will make a big difference! You can sponsor one guest or all the way up to one night for $200. All donations are tax deductible and can be mailed to PO BOX 6553, Laconia NH 03247-6553.
Check out this fundraiser for HATT on Sunday: HATT is sponsoring a dessert auction (Yummy!!!) Sunday afternoon from 3-5 at the Beane Conference Center on Blueberry Lane in Laconia. Admission to the event is a canned food item!
There are so many wonderful people and agencies making a difference in our own back yards! If you would like me to feature your non profit agency or know of an amazing NH professional giving back let me know by emailing email@example.com.
Until next time Do Good NH!!!