Disaster Preparedness Coordinator
SITE DESCRIPTION: The City of Nashua Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is a citywide system that provides management and coordination for prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery activities for all hazards that may impact the City of Nashua. Working in close partnership with Nashua’s public safety and public health agencies, OEM plans and prepares for emergencies, educates the public about emergency preparedness, conducts training exercises and drills, and performs other services to support the City’s overall preparedness. OEM follows an all-hazards approach, preparing for various types of emergencies – natural or man-made.
Ready Corps, an AmeriCorps program implemented by Points of Light, creates disaster resilient communities by increasing preparedness of individuals and families through volunteer engagement. Ready Corps members will serve 10-month terms beginning in October 2016. Ready Corps members will provide direct service and train volunteer leaders to recruit and educate teams of volunteers to:
1)Improve preparedness of individuals and families through local collaborative volunteer projects, service events, and trainings resulting in personal preparedness plans.
2)Expand Local Preparedness Networks and community capacity to respond to disasters by strengthening partnership networks while building a corps of trained volunteer leaders with specific focus on managing unaffiliated volunteers in emergency situations.
3)Support long-term recovery and sustainability by increasing organizational capacity to help individuals and families prepare and, in the case of disaster, more easily respond and recover from current events.
Major Responsibilities and Related Tasks
• Design and develop volunteer projects such as neighborhood canvassing to provide literature to and promote general awareness of disasters, managing donation drives to collect and distribute items for personal or family preparedness kits for vulnerable populations, and developing individualized preparedness plans with individuals, families and youth
• Organize and manage large scale Days of Service such as National Preparedness Month Neighborhood Block Parties, September 11 Day of Service, Hurricane Blow Out Days, Kit Building Party Days, and Winter Weather Parties
• Conduct and facilitate participation in trainings such as the Citizen Corps’ Community Emergency Response Team training, Points of Light’s Disaster Resistant Communities Group training, Points of Light’s Spontaneous Volunteer Management in Times of Disaster training, and Volunteer Emergency Support Team training
• Opportunity to make a difference in a community
• Living allowance of up to $12,100 over 10 month term of service, paid bi-weekly
• An AmeriCorps Education Award ($5,775) upon successful completion of service
• Corporation for Community and National Service approved Health benefits and child care assistance if qualified
• Opportunity to register with AmeriCorps Alums (www.americorpsalums.org)
• Three-day Ready Corps Training in Atlanta, GA, to be held at the end of October 2016
• Opportunity to participate in Points of Light virtual webinars and conference calls
• Networking opportunities with fellow corps members across the country
• Onsite training and professional development
• Gain valuable in-depth experience in emergency management, government, community organization, and volunteer management
• Work with experienced professionals in the field of emergency management, public safety, and non-governmental organizations
• Lead and develop innovative community resilience projects
• Get relevant experience for resume building
• Develop confidence in working with and organizing stakeholders and community leaders
• Obtain a greater understanding of career possibilities and areas of interest
• Gain marketability for employment opportunities after term of service
• Recognition for leading an inaugural program in the City of Nashua
How to ApplyIn order to apply, please fill out the online application: https://www.applitrack.com/nashua/onlineapp/default.aspx?AppliTrackPostingSearch=location:%22Emergency+Management+Department%22 For more information, please contact Justin Kates, Director of Emergency Management at email@example.com
21 total views, 1 today