I’ve been blogging about my adventures around the North Country for a bit over a year. In my posts I try to share with you some of the places I love in this area. From time to time, I am asked for recommendations of where to eat when in the northern bit of the Granite State. There are many more spots, but below are some of the restaurants that you might find me and my family at. They are tried and true locally owned and operated establishments that I have always left pleased.
The North Country
- Northland Dairy Bar – Berlin. Great chicken fingers, fried scallops, bison burger but be sure to save room for their famous fruit pies!
- Saladino’s – Gorham. Casual atmosphere with friendly service and authentic Italian fare.
- Up the Rivah – Milan. Stop by for a breakfast sandwich to go or eat in. Great breakfast and lunch items.
- White Mountain Café – Gorham. The coffee is good . . but so is their quiche, paninis, soup and salads.
- SAALT Pub – Gorham. Upscale food in a fun, informal setting.
- Ursula’s – Milan. Here you order your food in a shack and then can sit on a picnic table or if it is cooler in a little heated tent. When I was pregnant one of my favorite cravings was her chili dogs and her homemade pie.
- Yokahama – Anyone want to join me for tea and Yaki Soba (extra spicy) for lunch? So good!
Mount Washington Valley
- Shalimar of India – North Conway. Everything here is great, but at our table you will see tea, Naan bread, Vegetable Pakoras and Aloo Mutter.
- The Local Grocer – North Conway. This is a great place to grab a to-go breakfast or lunch or meet a friend and have a meal you can feel good about right there. Lots of great choices.
- The Wentworth – Jackson. The Wentworth is well-known for their dream weddings or as a romantic get-away. Often people don’t realize though that even if you are not staying there you can stop by for breakfast, grab a drink and a nosh at the bar or make a reservation for dinner.
- Margarita Grill – Glen. Margaritas (of course!), ribs, fish tacos . . just writing about this certified farm to table restaurant is making me hungry!
- The Sunrise Shack – Glen. Described as “creative comfort food with a funky mountain vibe” the Shack does not disappoint! The word is out about how great it is . . so you might have to wait a little bit to get a table – but be patient, it is well worth it!
- The Shannon Door – Jackson. There is not only great food at this Irish pub, but also live entertainment and friendly service. Try one of their thin crust pizzas. My favorite is their white pizza with feta cheese and artichoke hearts.
- Big Dave’s Bagels – North Conway. Of course their homemade bagels are great, but so are all of their creative sandwiches. Stop in for breakfast or lunch or to grab a bag of bagels and cream cheese.
- Little Grille at the Depot – Littleton. Little Grille is a good spot to stop for a burger and beer. They offer nice options for kids too. I have not made it to their Brazilian Barbeque nights . . but I hear it’s really good.
- Chang Thai – Littleton. This is a great Thai treat located right on Main Street in Littleton. Great service and choices.
- Polly’s Pancake Parlor – Sugar Hill. You will be served a great breakfast but you will also enjoy the ride and the views. Plan a trip during lupine season or during fall foliage for the most spectacular scenery. They don’t accept reservations, but if you are driving there you can phone in to get your name of the wait list.