Soon after moving to the Upper Valley I was advised to adopt a winter sport with the warning that it will otherwise be a long winter. That’s not what this summer loving gal wanted to hear! Having no desire for a long winter, I took the advice to heart.
First, I received a pair of ice skates for my birthday. Next, I took my dust collecting skis in for a tune-up. Then I signed up for New England Winter Wild, requiring the addition of MICROspikes to my running wardrobe. The day I returned home from my first Winter Wild event, my husband, Troy, and I cross-country skied together for the first time thanks to the Dartmouth Outing Club.
Like I said, I took the advice on adopting a winter sport to heart. However, there is one winter activity I still need to explore on countless recommendations. Snowshoeing!
Fortuitously, a friend I met through Upper Valley Young Professionals, Vreni Gust, recently stopped by for cappuccino on her way home from work at the Enfield Shaker Museum. Vreni gave me the scoop on the third annual Shaker Snowshoe Fest, coming up on Saturday, January 25, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
I was sold at dog sled rides and s’mores, but let me tell you more about what the day includes:
- Goodie bags complete with trail map, surprises, and a raffle ticket for the chance to win items like homemade mittens, gift cards, and more
- Shoeshowing on three groomed and monitored loops, in addition to other trails
- L.L.Bean Boot Mobile and instructors
- Horse drawn sleigh rides
- Ice skating on the mill pond (bring your own skates)
- Snow games and snow sculptures by the Mascoma Valley High School Art Club (weather dependent)
- Museum Shaker Quest (a scavenger hunt for children)
- Homemade lunch available for purchase (cash only)
The cost is $12.00 for adults, $8.00 for children ages 13 to 17, and $5.00 for ages 12 and under. Families of 3 or more may attend for $20.00.
Check-in and registration are in the Great Stone Dwelling (the main museum building). Pre-register to reserve a pair of show shoes because quantities are limited! To register call (603) 632-4346 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find the Enfield Shaker Museum at 447 NH Route 4A, Enfield, New Hampshire 03748.
Shaker Snowshoe Fest is not to be missed! Once a gal who dreaded the thought of a long winter, I now fear it may not last long enough given all there is to experience and enjoy. Tell me what activity keeps you longing for more winter!