Ten years ago, the freshmen class at Interlakes Middle High School in Meredith started a sock drive to help organizations that work with children, and organizations that help our neighbors living with homelessness and/or food insecurities. Little did they know that it would become an annual Lakes Region tradition that occurs every October!
The 10th annual sock drive donations will go to: The Santa Fund of the Greater Lakes Region, The Boys and Girls Club in Laconia, Isaiah 61 Cafe, The Salvation Army of Laconia, Spaulding Academy and Family Services in Northfield, The Belknap House in Laconia, The Pemi Youth Center in Plymouth and The Bread and Roses Food Pantry in Franklin.
Local businesses and organizations are excited to help! This year is no different. The following locations are drop off locations: All Brite Cleaning In Gilford, Real Life Church in Laconia, Meredith Community Center in Meredith, The Meredith Savings Bank Route 104 and the main branch in Meredith, The Meredith Insurance Company, The Meredith, Laconia, Alton, Lakes Region and Gilford Rotary Clubs, the VNA of the Lakes Region, the Interlakes Schools, Plymouth State University Office of Engagement, Plymouth Soap Works, and any of the local Franklin Savings Banks in Gilford, Bristol, Franklin, Boscawen and Tilton!
Here are a few facts you should know:
- In the past ten years the sock drive has collected over 15,000 pairs of socks!
- The club collects sturdy, and warm socks for infants to adult
- Not only do local businesses help out as drop off locations but the local media such as Mix 94.1 FM, the Laconia Daily Sun, and the Salmon Press News supports the cause with PSA’s and newspaper articles!
- Every year local children from the organizations that benefit send handwritten thank you cards to the students expressing gratitude
- The organizations that benefit from the socks usually are out of the donations within a week
- Little things make a big difference
There are so many wonderful people and agencies making a difference in our own backyards!