This week I spoke with Erica Marino of Fremont. Erica is a prime example of how you can use your passion, in her case fitness, to help others and serve the community.
Erica is the Human Resources Manager for Advanced Security Services, Inc. & The Plaistow Learning Center, Inc. while also teaching fitness classes at Rock Your Body in Fremont. Erica grew up in Kingston, and graduated from Merrimack College in North Andover, MA. with a BA in Sociology and a double minor in Business and Spanish. After college, Erica spent a few years living and working in the Boston area, and moved back to New Hampshire after 9/11 to join her family’s security business.
Although Erica has traveled to over thirty countries and explored five continents, she loves calling New Hampshire home. When she isn’t working or traveling you can find her running along Hampton Beach with her rescue pup, Pepper, boating on Lake Winnipesaukee or exploring local hiking trails.
Erica got her first taste of volunteering during her spring break in college. She volunteered with a program called Mission Joven. This program brought Merrimack College students to the Dominican Republic where they visited orphanages and nursing homes to help brighten people’s days as well as assisting in renovating a church. The following year, Erica was chosen to be a part of Mission Joven in Philadelphia, PA where she helped to clean an AIDS hospice and a children’s camp.
Since college, Erica has used her passion for fitness to make a huge impact on the community. She has helped to raise well over $60,000 through events such as the 39 mile Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, participated in the M.S Five Miler Walks for Multiple Sclerosis and the 19.3 mile Walt Disney World Challenge for the Catch a Lift program. This program provides fitness equipment and gym memberships to veterans for mental and physical rehabilitation needs. She has run two Boston Marathons, soon to be three for Team MGH Pediatric Oncology in Memory of Gary Letourneau who lost his seventeen-year battle at the age of thirty. Erica is a certified Zumba® Fitness instructor and often offers up her services for Zumbathons. Through these events, Erica has been able to help local families going through difficult times, as well as diabetes foundations, cancer foundations, and dozens of other great causes.
Five facts about Erica:
- Erica along with ten other friends, known as the Electric 11, holds the Guinness World Book of Records for participating in the Longest Marathon Aerobics/Exercise Class. It lasted about forty hours! All of the proceeds from this fitness event were donated to the Rock Your Body’s Senior Scholarship program for local teens heading into college.
- Erica and her friend, Sara, the Owner of Rock your Body collected over 11,000 pounds of clothing in partnership with Savers and in turn raised $2,200 for cancer research.
- Erica has run dozens of half marathons and participated in numerous Ragnar races all over the world, many times bringing awareness to certain organizations and causes.
- Her family business, Advanced Security, has provided shelter care staff to local homeless shelters for over twenty-five years, helping them keep the safety and security of the guests and staff especially during this most trying of times.
- The Plaistow Learning Center, where she is the Human Resources Manager, has been deemed an Essential Daycare to assist all New Hampshire essential workers with daycare services through this uncertain time.
When asked what advice she would give young professionals looking to give back, Erica said:
There are so many programs out there that are worthy of your help. Reach out to something you truly believe in and do your best to improve the lives of others. When we enjoy what we do, it’s not work, it’s just another way to give back.”
“If you can dream it, you can do it” ~Walt Disney
There are so many wonderful people and agencies making a difference in our own backyards!