This week I had the pleasure of speaking with Tabitha Swanson of Chester. Tabitha is a Medical Coding Supervisor, Certified Zumba Fitness Instructor at Rock Your Body, in Fremont, and she is the Field Director and Dressing Room Assistant for the Miss New Hampshire and Miss New Hampshire’s Outstanding Teen Scholarship Program.
When Tabitha isn’t at work, at the gym, dog sitting for friends, or volunteering, you can find her outside running along the New Hampshire Seacoast, hiking, enjoying Lake Winnipesaukee, snow tubing with friends, or hanging out at Vida Cantina in Portsmouth having a margarita flight and tacos with girlfriends. Tabitha completed her first marathon this year and has been exploring new hiking trails such as Bald Ledge in New Hampton, and trails at Pawtuckaway State Park. Tabitha is also passionate about finding the cure for breast cancer and tries to participate in as many fundraisers as she can revolving around this issue.
When I asked Tabitha, why she decided to stay, work, and play in the Granite State she said, “I like the variety of things to do in NH and the changing seasons. From going to the beaches to the mountains, throughout all the seasons there is something to do! I love that all my friends are close by as well. I like living in a small town where things are quiet, but having big cities close by for shopping or entertainment.”
Tabitha first got involved with the Miss New Hampshire program about eight years ago, when her dance instructor she had growing up, reached out to her one day. Tabitha grew up dancing at the Dance Studio in Manchester and Kerry’s Dance Studio in Chester. She took this opportunity to do what she loves – helping others! And today, she is a field director for the scholarship program. Tabitha said she loves the organization because “the mission is to empower young women through scholarship competitions and to provide community service and leadership opportunities while fostering lifelong friendships through the Miss America Organization.”
A few facts to know about the Miss New Hampshire Program:
- The program last year gave out $77,000 in scholarship money to the candidates that were competing for the title of Miss New Hampshire.
- There are over 500 volunteers in the Miss New Hampshire Scholarship program between the local and state level.
- There are 25 local chapters that these girls must first win to be able to go on to the state pageant in April. The winner that is crowned for the state moves on to compete at Miss America. All while earning scholarships!
- Each girl has a social impact initiative, something they are passionate about and they spread awareness of while holding their local title.
- The volunteer production crew build beautiful sets and come up with creative themes for the competition each year.
To learn more about the program, or to donate to the scholarship fund, check out their website or send checks to The Miss NH Scholarship Foundation, 20 East Broadway, 2nd floor Derry, NH 03038. If you’d like to get involved, the organization is always looking for volunteers and sponsors.
When I asked Tabitha what advice she would give to young professionals looking to give back, she said:
Just Do it. There are so many organizations that need your help whether it be through a donation of money or of your time. Find something you are passionate about and find more information on how you can help out! There is something for everyone.
“Stay Positive, work hard, and make it happen!”
There are so many wonderful people and agencies making a difference in our own backyards!