College Internship Breakthrough Manchester Teaching Fellowship
Breakthrough inspires and supports two populations of young people: 1) motivated and diverse Manchester middle schoolers with limited resources who aspire to go to college, and 2) college undergraduates who want to make a difference in the lives of some amazing younger students. Over the course of a 9-week whirlwind summer, Breakthrough teaches you the skills of teaching, mentoring, and collaborating with peers – critical skills in professional and personal life.
“My favorite part of teaching at Breakthrough Manchester was being part of a safe environment for both faculty and students to teach and learn from each other. I feel very lucky to have been able to develop my academic and professional skills while being part of such a diverse, driven community.” Griffin Antle, DS ‘14, 2017 BTM Teaching Fellow, High School English Teacher, Chicago, Illinois
– While you need to enjoy working with middle school students, you do not need to be an education major
– You must be a current high school junior or senior, or undergraduate student
– Complete and pass a criminal background check
– Must be available and present for all programming days
Candidates fluent in Spanish, Vietnamese, Bosnian, or other languages are strongly encouraged to apply
– The program runs from June 09, 2021 – August 05, 2021
– The typical day runs from 7:30 a.m. to about 5:30 p.m. (in-person program) and 8:30 a.m. to about 3:30 p.m (virtual program)
– Breakthrough Manchester is currently considering an in-person program, a virtual summer program, and a hybrid model. We will make a final decision in accordance with state and city health and safety guidelines and will notify everyone as soon as that decision is finalized.
Consider the following advantages of the Breakthrough Teaching Fellowship:
– This is a paid internship. The base stipend at Breakthrough Manchester is $1,500 and up to an additional $2,000 is available in need-based aid to make the experience financially feasible. That’s up to $3,500 for an incredible 9-week experience!
– Teaching fellows may be eligible to enroll as an Americorps Member to receive an additional $1,200 in the form of an Education Award.
– The experience is unparalleled. Teaching Fellows solo-teach two academic sections (literature, math, science, or writing) in their own classroom, advise several students over the course of the summer, serve on a committee and teach an extracurricular class of their choosing, all with substantial support from professional staff and Instructional Coaches. At BTM, you will learn, teach, and lead!
– Breakthrough Manchester looks great on a resume and opens doors for future opportunities. Recent BTM Teaching alums have been admitted to some of the most prestigious graduate schools and teacher prep residencies in the country, are teaching English abroad through the Fulbright program, and have entered the Peace Corps and Teach for America.
How to ApplyFor more information and to apply: https://bit.ly/TeachBTM2021 Application deadline is January 14, 2021(early action) and February 25, 2021 (regular decision). Please email Chau Ngo, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
74 total views, 1 today