College Internship Fall 2019 Community Relations Internship – Manchester, NH
The International Institute of New England is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving refugees and immigrants in Boston, MA, Lowell, MA, and Manchester, NH. The Institute offers internships to students, graduate students, and recent graduates with demonstrated interest or experience in supporting refugee, asylee, and immigrant populations. Each internship includes an educational component, through which interns contextualize their experience and reflect on their service. Interns can also expect to spend some time each week supporting their office’s front desk, assisting the Office Manager and learning to better navigate the services at the Institute.
All internships are unpaid and correspond roughly with the US semester system:
Spring Internship: January 7, 2019 – April 26, 2019
(Applications requested by December 1)
Summer Internship: May 13, 2019 – August 23, 2019
(Applications requested by April 8)
Fall Internship: September 9, 2019 – December 20, 2019
(Applications requested by August 5)
First consideration is given to applicants that can commit at least 12 hours (IINE-Lowell or IINE-Manchester internships) or 16 hours (IINE-Boston internships) over the course of one of the semesters outlined above. Applicants are encouraged to apply regardless of whether their schedule fits the semester system; IINE makes exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Slots fill quickly and candidates are encouraged to apply earlier than the requested date above.
Community Relations Internship Overview
The Community Relations Intern supports the Manchester site’s Community Relations Manager by helping identify and coordinate community events, preparing for and coaching volunteers, and supporting other development and volunteer driven projects.
Reports to: Community Relations Manager
Location: Manchester, NH
• Identify potential corporate and community volunteer groups
• Draft correspondence to community figures and employers
• Conduct donor research and summarize findings
• Attend community events to promote IINE and learn about issues impacting IINE’s clients
• Support volunteer recruitment and coaching
• Assist the Community Relations Manager in preparing for the next intern cohort, including:
• Amending and renewing postings on college and job boards
• Updating and drafting orientation materials
• Help clients access the food pantry and understand their options
• Interest in international, refugee, asylee, and/or immigrant issues
• Experience in development, fundraising, or networking preferred
• Candidates with extensive knowledge of local community and companies highly desirable
• A demonstrated interest in local governance, activism, or community services
• Ability to work respectfully in a multicultural environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Highly organized with great attention to detail
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and to switch gears quickly
• Professionalism, discretion, and maturity in dealing with confidential information
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
• Access to reliable transportation
• Develop a professional voice and gain valuable experience interfacing with public officials, companies, and organizations
• Compose compelling messages and effectively disseminate those messages to local audiences
• Perfect research skills and apply them in the context of fundraising and community outreach
• Recognize what it takes to grow, develop, and sustain a volunteer program at a service oriented non-profit
• Identify and access community resources and services, particularly those that cater to the needs of refugees and immigrants.
• Understand the US Refugee Resettlement program, as well as what part VOLAGs and resettlement agencies like the International Institute of New England play in receiving and integrating refugees.
• Respectfully express and engage ideas and values in a multicultural, multilingual environment.
How to ApplyPlease apply using the link below. As part of your application you will be asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for at least 3 references. https://iine.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/14916605-cd3e-675a-b018-415e719f5e1a/apply?source=1073034-CS-32361 For more information, including a full list of our internships, please visit the International Institute of New England’s website at iine.org/careers. Any questions should be directed to the Institute’s Internship Program at email@example.com
65 total views, 1 today