College InternshipData Collection Intern
Description of Position
Strafford Regional Planning Commission seeks a temporary Data Collection Intern to support transportation planning activities. This position provides an opportunity to work with a collaborative team focused on using technology and data to inform regional and statewide decision-makers. The successful candidate will assist with data collection, report writing, and map creation services.
Overall, Commission employees are hardworking, motivated individuals dedicated to providing the highest quality of public service in a friendly, progressive environment. The right individual will have a positive attitude about working for the Commission and representing the Strafford region of coastal New Hampshire. For more information about the Commission, visit www.strafford.org.
This position will be primarily tasked with collecting transportation- and traffic-related data in the field and assisting with management of our transportation data collection program. The intern will:
• Assist the Data Team with
o collecting traffic field data throughout the region, including traffic counts and infrastructure inventories;
o inventory road, sidewalk, and culvert infrastructure and condition;
o data Quality Assurance/Quality Control;
o maintaining data collection records in both digital and hard copy forms; and
o equipment inventories, maintenance, and supply orders.
• Assist the Regional Transportation Planner with updating transportation planning documents.
• Assist the GIS Planner with maintaining transportation GIS data and various GIS analyses. Contract dependent this may include environmental field data collection.
• Assist in the preparation of transportation planning reports, protocols, and other documentation.
• Note: Occasional evening, early morning, and weekend work hours may be required.
Applicants must, at a minimum, be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program studying planning, transportation data management, GIS, environmental science, or other related fields.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
• Strong writing skills and research capabilities.
• Working knowledge of geographic information systems and map creation /cartography
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications.
• Ability to meet variable deadlines and handle reprioritized tasks on occasionally short notice.
• Team orientation and personal accountability.
While not required, the following skill sets are a plus:
• Experience with field data collection, especially collection of transportation data such as traffic counts, bicycle/pedestrian traffic counts, and culvert assessments.
• Experience using ESRI GIS software in a Windows environment.
• Experience with Arc Collector or other tablet-based field data collection programs.
• Experience with GPS technology.
• Working knowledge of planning and local government processes.
Special requirements for this position include:
• A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required; this position will include significant travel for fieldwork.
• Data collection work involves working outside, often in variable weather conditions, and requires the ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
The rate of pay is $15 per hour for 40 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks mid-May through August/early September. Exact start and end dates will be set to correspond with the selected candidate’s academic calendar.
Strafford Regional Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity/affirmation Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, and nation of origin. The Commission encourages minorities, women, and socially and economically disadvantaged applicants to apply.
How to ApplyPlease reply with a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and one work sample. Submit materials to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Data Collection Intern.” Position is open until filled.
1 total views, 1 today