College Internship Housing Program Intern
The Regional Economic Development Center (REDC) is seeking an intern for the 2020-2021 academic year to assist with the growing housing-related work in communities served by REDC.
The intern may be tasked with:
- Assessing political will, attitudes toward housing development, and related in the thirteen communities served by REDC’s housing advocacy program (Auburn, Derry, Londonderry, Hampstead, Atkinson, Windham, Plaistow, Salem, Pelham, Hudson, Litchfield, Merrimack, and Nashua) through surveys, key informant interviews, and focus groups.
- Acting as a liaison between REDC and UNH students enrolled in Community and Environmental Planning working on housing-related projects, including a spring workforce housing design charrette.
- Interviewing housing developers on the barriers to development presented in the approval process. This project, “A Tale of Two Developments”, aims to highlight the impact of the local process on affordability.
- Attend conferences, meetings, and other events alongside REDC’s Housing Coordinator.
- Additional projects tailored to the needs of REDC’s Housing Coordinator and the intern’s career goals.
- Recent graduate or current student pursuing a degree in a related field (political science, community and environmental planning, public policy, etc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience creating qualitative research tools, including surveys and discussion guides
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Must be multi-task oriented with strong problem-solving skills
- Must be highly motivated and self-driven
- Some experience with housing policy, land use regulations, and messaging/framing a plus
The ideal candidate will have an interest in local government, community and economic development, community engagement, advocacy, planning, housing policy, public policy, and related topics. The intern must have reliable access to a vehicle as there will be some travel.
The schedule is flexible, with the internship running from mid-late August 2020/early September 2020 until the end of March 2021. The internship is 10 hours per week (at the Raymond office, which the option of some hours being worked remotely). This internship is paid at $15 per hour. The intern will report directly to Sarah Wrightsman, Housing Coordinator for the Regional Economic Development Center.
The Regional Economic Development Center is a private, non-profit organization, located in Raymond, NH that offers technical assistance, financing through various funding sources, and business development training. The REDC seeks to promote responsible, sustainable economic development activities in the southern New Hampshire region by creating jobs for low to moderate income people, by accessing alternative financing for business and industrial expansion/relocations, which in turn provides tax relief for our communities and our region.
The Regional Economic Development Center (REDC) has long recognized housing affordability and availability as a top barrier to economic growth in the region. In 2018, REDC formed a strategic partnership with the Workforce Housing Coalition of the Greater Seacoast, expanding the Coalition’s work to 13 additional communities. In 2019, REDC hired a Housing Coordinator, further expanding housing advocacy and education work in the region. The REDC is an equal opportunity employer. The REDC prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, marital or family status. REDC is located in downtown Raymond. Learn more at www.REDC.com.
How to ApplyTo apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to Sarah Wrightsman, Housing Coordinator at REDC, at Sarah@REDC.com. You must include a cover letter with your application.
73 total views, 3 today